One in five students at four-year colleges and universities does not get enough to eat, according to a survey published by the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness.
Recognizing hunger on our campus, in fall 2018, Moravian College opened Mo’s Cupboard, a resource pantry that provides shelf-stable food as well as toiletries, and dorm and cleaning supplies to Moravian College students in need. The pantry has found a new home in the Student Life Office in the lower level of the HUB and can be accessed any time during HUB hours with a swipe ID. It’s free, private, and available to undergraduate, graduate, and seminary students. Since opening in its new space at the end of August 2019, Mo’s cupboard has been accessed more than 100 times by students in need.
On their first visit, students must complete the self-declaration of income form found on top of the refrigerator. This document is private and used only to maintain the college’s partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank.
If the cupboard doesn’t contain a needed item, requests can be added to the marker board inside the cupboard or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to Help?
Anyone wishing to support Mo’s Cupboard can do so in a variety of ways:
- Make a financial donation at our financial giving page.
- Give through our Amazon Wish List.
- Bring items to the Student Life Office during normal business hours (please don’t leave them in the Cupboard; they need to be logged and inventoried).
Following is a list of always-needed items.
(pop tabs on canned foods are easiest and individual portions are helpful; vegan/gluten-free and dairy-free options are always appreciated)
- Deli meats
- Granola/KIND bars
- Pop Tarts
- Coffee, canned and K-cups
- Juice boxes
- Microwavable nonfrozen meals
- Non-dairy milk, boxed
- Pasta, microwavable pouches
- Microwave popcorn
- Potato chips, pretzels, Pringles
- Tortilla chips and salsa
(fragrance free and hypo-allergenic items always appreciated)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shampoo and conditioner
Dorm Room Supplies
- Bedding: sheets, pillows, comforters—new
- Cleaning products/disinfecting wipes
- Laundry detergent
- Paper towels
- Towels and washcloths—new
- Winter coats
We also provide information for various community resources that may be of help. For more information, send an email to email@example.com